Getting Started

If the intro posts pique your interest, lets move ahead with how you get started. The first thing to think about is which of the miniature ranges do you find the most appealing?

As a disclaimer, these models and this hobby in general can be VERY expensive. I have accepted the costs associated with it because it brings me hours of enjoyment. That may not be true for you, or the people (Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa) who you would like to buy things that go with this hobby. 

As I mentioned, there is the fantasy range, with its undead wizards, massive dragons, and legions of elves. Shown below are a selection of models from the Warhammer Fantasy Battles range of miniatures.

High Elf riding a griffon.

Scaven Warlord.

Empire General on massive griffon.

As you can see from the pictures above, the feel of it is very Lord of the Rings-ish. This is a medieval world where various races vie for control, including humans. Now appreciate that the models shown above are very advanced, even a seasoned painted would have to really focus to come close to the level of detail shown above. Also appreciate that the pictures above were painted by the Eavy Metal team, the painting team that works for Games Workshop (who manufactures all of the models that I paint).

To see more from this range, here is the link to the Games Workshop Fantasy Homepage.

If you are looking for a more futuristic feel, there is the Warhammer 40,000 range of models. Since this is the range that I paint exclusively, check out the Miniatures Gallery page to see examples.

To see more from this range, here is the link to the Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Homepage.

Finally, if you are looking to relive the action of JRR Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings books, then the LOTR range is where you may find inspiration. Since the first LOTR movie came out 10 years ago, Games Workshop has released a steady stream of miniatures to go along with the movies. Below are some examples from this range.

Mordor Troll
Aragorn
Frodo, Sam, and Golem

The scale for the LOTR range is a bit smaller. There are pros and cons to this, it just bears mentioning.

To see more from this range, here is the link to the Games Workshop LOTR/ The Hobbit Homepage. 

Be First to Comment